Country Churches

ROLLESBY CHURCH

The early fourteenth century east Norfolk church has a round tower capped by an octagonal belfry. Rollesby Broad is a mile to the south-east.  The inscription is from Psalm 24.

SALLE CHURCH

A late linocut for a wedding invitation.
Saint Peter and Paul Salle is a large, exceptionally fine, early fifteenth century Norfolk church with a 126 foot tower visible over a wide area.

HAPPISBURGH CHURCH

There are three ways of spelling the place-name − “Happisburgh” as on road signs and Ordnance Survey maps, and “Haisborough” and “Haisbro” (the way the word is pronounced) on Admiralty charts.

WEST WALTON CHURCH

Pevsner described West Walton church as ‘one of the most sumptuous Early English parish churches – not only of Norfolk’.  The linocut shows the church with its detached bell-tower and churchyard.

WORSTEAD CHURCH

Worstead is in north-east Norfolk, between Cromer and Great Yarmouth. The church was begun in 1379 and was described by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner as “externally one of the dozen or so grandest Norfolk parish churches”.